An attractive bathroom is one of the top considerations of a home buyer. After all, it’s an indispensable part of the house aside from the kitchen. So, if you’re thinking of selling in the future, a collection of bathroom renovation ideas will come in handy.
However, if you’re on a tight budget, you need to be smart in choosing which feature to leave as is or update. Your priority list, in general, should include renewing old-fashioned or worn-out fixtures, repairing anything broken and making the room functional. Here are a few essential bathroom upgrades that future buyers will surely approve!
1. Install New Bathroom Fixtures
If you’re looking for affordable improvements or bathroom remodelling ideas, then this one should be on your to-do list. Swapping a rusty tap or showerhead is not only cheap but also easy and quick to do. The problem is, you’ll probably have several options to consider. So, make sure to keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Choose high-quality but timeless fitting. Trendy fixtures may look stunning now but perhaps not for a long time. So, try to avoid those that you may need to replace again in a few short years. Preferably, go neutral for large fixtures (e.g., sink and toilet), then be bold for small accessories that are not as expensive to redo.
- Update the bathroom tiles. Similarly, stick to classic tile designs with neutral colours that go with most fixtures. Choose large tiles to create a feeling of space, or opt for a diagonal tile installation to widen the room. Use textured floor tiles in the shower area for safety and mould-resistant grout, too.
- Combine different styles that complement each other. Make the room look attractive but cohesive. Try mixing and matching various finishes, shapes or colours.
- Add luxurious but purposeful fixtures. If you want to splurge on a fancy fitting, choose one that adds value. A rain shower with a handheld system, for instance, is a costly but worthy investment. Heated bathroom flooring, shower seats or wall-mounted body sprays are also examples. Just make sure your luxury add-ons match your property, neighbourhood and target market.
- Look for sustainable home features. Prospective buyers nowadays love fixtures that help reduce water and energy costs. So, consider adding a water-efficient toilet or faucet, installing a low-flow showerhead or putting light fixtures with high energy efficiency.
2. Have Two Sinks on an Eye-Catching Vanity
These two are the first things that potential buyers see when they step into your bath space, so both are crucial selling features. If you have at least 152cm of space, then you can easily fit in twin sinks. But, if this is not possible, choose a vessel or under-mounted sink, then spruce up your benchtop instead.
Like tapware, there are several countertop materials available. Just remember to balance appearance and functionality for all your bathroom renovation ideas. Of course, don’t forget about cost and maintenance. Go for natural stone if your budget allows it. But if not, timber, marble or tiled countertops are also excellent options for as long as you clean them the right way.
3. Improve Bathroom Lighting and Ventilation
No one wants to do their makeup in the dark or take a leisurely bath in full-on artificial light. Installing a dimmer should give the new house owners control in setting the right mood. Putting light fittings in the shower area is also a good idea to ensure safety. You can also add transom windows to let natural light in and lessen energy costs.
A window in your shower is a multipurpose add-on that should be on your list of bathroom renovation ideas. Aside from making the space brighter, cracking it open also lets air circulate to drive away moisture and odours. It will also protect your bathroom from mould and mildew. You can even install a bathroom vent or fan if you want. That way, the new property owners get to ensure good airflow no matter the season or weather.
4. Add Ample Storage Space
Multiple drawers and cabinets in the bathroom not only add convenience. They also make the space liveable and organised. So, make sure not to overlook this idea for bathroom renovation. A good tip is to apply storage designs that match the size of the room.
For example, if you have a shallow vanity, you can add a recessed cabinet above it. It will make bending over and using the sink easy without a cabinet jutting out from your wall. Installing upper cabinets or open shelves is also an excellent move for tight spaces. Check out these small bathroom storage solutions for added inspiration.
5. Spruce It Up and Accessorise
A fresh coat of paint is the best way to bring all your bathroom remodelling efforts together. It makes the space look new and clean, too. However, don’t limit yourself to white paint. A mix of neutral colours will give the same bright and airy feel without making your bathroom look like a lab. Keep your chosen fixtures in mind so that they complement each other.
Adding a mirror will also transform a drab bathroom into a spacious haven. Ideally, install a wide mirror that will take the entire width of your wall. Or position it somewhere where it can reflect natural light. Also, make sure it is neither too high nor low so that it’s functional. Do you love gardening? You can bring nature into your bathroom, too, with beautiful indoor garden plants!
It’s not too hard to achieve your bathroom renovation ideas as long as you have your goal and limits in mind. Bathroom remodels are not the only way to make your house appealing to a buyer, though. Check out this list of other value-adding home improvement projects!